The Institute for Quantum Optics and Quantum Information (IQOQI) – Vienna (www.iqoqi-vienna.at) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences invites applications for the position of a
Junior Research Group Leader
for a period of 4 years with the possibility of extension.
We are searching for a researcher with high international standing in theoretical quantum physics, with a particular emphasis on quantum foundations and theoretical quantum information. The successful candidate should have PhD and post-doctoral experience at a university or comparable research institution and have the skills and motivation to lead a research team. He/she should be able to design, procure and direct major research projects and to teach students at all curricular levels including thesis supervision. Other group leaders at IQOQI Vienna include Caslav Brukner, Rupert Ursin and Anton Zeilinger. IQOQI Vienna is part of the Vienna Center for Quantum Science and Technology (http://vcq.quantum.at/), an institution which unites quantum physicists of Vienna’s research institutions in one collaborative center and thus provides a unique opportunity for direct exchange and collaboration between its research groups.
• an attractive and dynamic research location in a city with a high quality of life and in a country with excellent research funding provisions and a long tradition in fundamental research
• a negotiable start-up fund for additional positions at PhD and/or Post-Doc level
• a negotiable salary
• a grant for relocation to Vienna
Applicants are requested to send an application containing the following information, which may be supplemented by additional material:
• academic curriculum vitae
• list of publications, together with specification of five key publications judged by the applicant to be particularly relevant to the advertised position including a statement explaining their relevance
• PDF versions of five top publications provided either as URLs of downloadable copies or as email attachments
• list of talks given, including detailed information on invited plenaries at international conferences
• brief description of current research interests and research plans for the immediate future
• list of projects supported by third-party funds
• short survey of previous academic teaching and list of supervised PhD theses
• teaching statement
• names and email addresses of at least three references
Applications in English should be submitted by e-mail (as PDF attachments) to the Director of the Institute for Quantum Optics and Quantum Information, Univ. Prof. Dr. Caslav Brukner, Boltzmanngasse 3, 1090 Vienna, Austria (email: ), no later than July 15th, 2014 with the reference “Application for Junior Research Group Leader at IQOQI-Vienna”.
While the start date of the appointment is flexible the starting date of October 1, 2014 would be desirable.